Mark Titus, Gleaner Writer
Devon Watkis, assistant commissioner of police in charge of Area Four, says he has full confidence in the team which investigated the highly publicised rape of five females in Irwin Point, St James, last year.
Kerron and Sheldon Brissett, who were charged in connection with the assault on the females, were offered bail in the Western Regional Gun Court last week after it was revealed in court that the DNA evidence did not match their profile.
The brothers were charged with rape, wounding with intent and illegal possession of firearm following the September 24, 2012 incident.
"The recent development should not be interpreted as any indication to a lack of honesty or inefficiency on the part of investigators," ACP Watkis said, while giving the keynote address at Tuesday's luncheon meeting of the Rotary Club of Montego Bay.
"One must understand that the police collect information, which is converted into evidence in order for the judicial authority to evaluate and work towards finding the truth and holding those responsible accountable," the ACP argued.
The nation reacted with shock and horror when news broke that five females, including an eight-year-old girl, were abducted from their home and brutally raped in an open lot. The eight-year-old was hospitalised on account of her ordeal.
Two days after the incident, Police Commissioner Owen Ellington and the chief of defence staff, Major General Antony Anderson, met with National Security Minister Peter Bunting and a decision was taken to deploy specialist investigators to join the St James police in their investigations.
Following a period of investigation into the incident, which attracted wide-scale condemnation, the Brissett brothers were taken into custody and subsequently charged.
However, despite the DNA results, which came from voluntary blood samples the brothers had given, the prosecution will still be pursuing the case against the men.
The two defendants are scheduled to return to court on March 4.