Seven fatal shootings by the police in the first 20 days of this month represent a sharp reduction when compared to January, but human rights groups in Jamaica are not satisfied.
In January, 31 fatal shootings by the police were recorded at a rate of one each day.
Susan Goffe, chairperson of the human rights group Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ), was not impressed by the decline.
Goffe argued that the decline was a part of a regular cycle which usually occurs after a month where public outcry is ignited by a high number of police killings.
"I think that the figure for January was definitely high and very concerning, and we expressed that concern during the month. We expected that it would have fallen because of public outcry," she said.
Goffe recounted that a similar trend was noted in March last year when that month recorded one of the highest numbers of police killings since the establishment of the JFJ.
She said the March 2012 tally also led to intense public outcry and the numbers declined the following month.
"We are concerned that the falling off, because of public outcry, does not indicate a change in approach or police personnel being held accountable.
"We know that there are instances when the police are justified in their use of lethal force, but the systems in place are not credibly clearing the police, who are justified in their use of lethal force, or holding accountable, those who use lethal force in an unjustified manner," said Goffe.
For February, the rate of police shootings declined by more than 60 per cent, but still the number of fatal shootings by members of the security forces since the start of this year stood at 38 as of last Wednesday.
That's according to official data released to The Sunday Gleaner late last week.
The information shows two incidents, January 7, Clarendon and January 12, St Andrew, where three persons were killed in a single clash with the police.
There were also two incidents where two men were found with fatal gunshot wounds following clashes with the cops.
According to the report, 33 weapons, including two machetes, were seized by the police in the incidents where civilian fatalities were reported.
In three of the cases, the police reported that no weapon was recovered following the incidents.
Police Commissioner Owen Ellington has expressed his concern about the number of fatal shootings, although he has argued that the men and the women of the Force are facing vicious criminals not afraid to attack them.
The Independent Commission of Investigations is probing all the incidents.