Myrie admits to 'mistake' in her statement

Published: Tuesday | March 5, 2013 Comments 0
CCJ President Dennis Byron (right) departs the conference centre after yesterday's session of the Shanique Myrie case.
CCJ President Dennis Byron (right) departs the conference centre after yesterday's session of the Shanique Myrie case.
Shanique Myrie leaves the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston, accompanied by members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, after the first session of her case against the Barbadian government. The case is being heard by the Caribbean Court of Justice. - PHOTOS BY Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
Shanique Myrie leaves the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston, accompanied by members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, after the first session of her case against the Barbadian government. The case is being heard by the Caribbean Court of Justice. - PHOTOS BY Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer

Shanique Myrie, the Jamaican woman who took the Barbadian government to court for alleged inhumane treatment, yesterday recanted a section of the statement she provided in the case, calling it "a mistake".

Myrie's action came during cross-examination by Queen's Counsel Roger Forde, the lead attorney for the Barbadian government, as the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) began hearing her case in its historic sitting at the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston.

Myrie contended, in paragraph 31 of her statement, which was tendered as her testimony in the case, that following her ordeal, a female immigration officer was directed by a male counterpart to go and retrieve her luggage.

She said the woman then asked her the colour of the suitcase and the full name on it before she left to get the bag.

But under cross-examination, Myrie admitted that she went with the female immigration officer to collect the suitcase.

"So which one of those statements are correct?" Forde questioned.

"It was a mistake," Myrie told the court.

It was one of several attempts by Forde to discredit Myrie's account of her encounter with immigration officers when she arrived in Barbados on March 14, 2011.

Embarrassing cavity search

The Jamaican woman is claiming, in her case against the Barbadian government, that shortly after she was allowed entry to the country, immigration officers subjected her to a painful and embarrassing cavity search and kept her in a dark, filthy cell for several hours before she was deported to Jamaica.

But in nearly one hour of questioning, Forde sought to punch holes in Myrie's claims, asking at one point if she was aware that video recordings of her arrival at the Grantley Adams International Airport had been tendered as evidence in the case.

"Yes," the Jamaica woman responded.

He also suggested to Myrie that she was not invited to Barbados by a woman identified as Pamela Clarke, as was claimed in her statement.

"Are you aware that Pamela Clarke gave a witness statement in this case saying she does not know you and never invited you to Barbados? I am putting it to you that they are truthful," he asked.

"That's not true," Myrie replied.

Forde will continue his cross-examination today.

livern.barrett@gleanerjm.com

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs

Videos