Pistorius, Semenya cut from Olympic funding programme

Published: Friday | May 24, 2013 Comments 0

JOHANNESBURG (AP):

OSCAR PISTORIUS and Caster Semenya were left off a list of athletes to be given funding ahead of the 2016 Rio Games because neither is currently training or competing, the South African Olympic Committee said yesterday.

Pistorius, a double-amputee runner, who competed at the London Games, was not on the high performance list for the next Olympics and Paralympics after his decision to stay away from competition for the rest of the year to focus on defending himself against a murder charge for the shooting death of his girlfriend in February.

While Pistorius' absence on the list released Wednesday was expected, Semenya's was a major surprise after building a reputation as South Africa's top runner over the past four years.

She won the 800m world title in Berlin in 2009 and returned to competition following a yearlong absence because of a gender-test controversy to win silver medals at the 2011 World Championships and last year's London Olympics.

Still only 22, Semenya is seen as South Africa's best hope for an Olympic track title in Rio, but wasn't part of the Operation Excellence programme because she wasn't training or competing and it was unclear if she would run at this year's World Championships, South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) chief executive Tubby Reddy told The Associated Press yesterday.

"There is no point spending money on athletes that are not training," Reddy said.

But Reddy also said that the list wasn't definitive and athletes could work their way back into the funding programme.

He didn't rule out Pistorius being eligible for a place if he was cleared of the murder charge against him.

"It is very simplistic," Reddy said, "if he (Pistorius) is found not guilty, he could be on the programme."

The 26-year-old multiple Paralympic champion had aimed to end his track career by running the able-bodied Olympics and Paralympics in Rio, the second time Pistorius would have achieved that double, after London, but that looks increasingly unlikely as he faces a long and high-profile trial after being charged with premeditated murder. Pistorius will appear in court again on June 4.

There was also still a chance Semenya could be added to the list, Reddy said, "if she is back on track, if she is training."

Semenya did not take part at the South African national championships at the beginning of April and SASCOC and Athletics South Africa were unsure of her plans for 2013 and if she would try to qualify for the World Championships in Moscow in August, Reddy said.

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs

Videos