BAHAMAS NASSAU, (CMC):
The Bahamas government says there is quite a lot of misinformation regarding the detention and repatriation of migrants in the country and would not participate in any discussions with protestors in Miami.
Foreign Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell in a statement said he would also hold the protestors responsible if something should jeopardise the safety and security of our personnel and facilities in Florida.
"They have engendered an atmosphere of hostility which has led to physical threats against our property there. The United States government has assured us that they take these threats seriously and will be acting appropriately to protect our people," Mitchell said.
His statement comes as media reports indicate that Nassau has repatriated 24 Cubans to their homeland despite reports that other countries such as Panama were willing to take them.
Mitchell confirmed that 24 people, all Cuban nationals, were repatriated to their home country on Friday, August 16, making a total of 64 for the year so far.
He said there are 20 others who will be returned home shortly and 275 Haitian migrants were returned to Haiti last week as well, making a total of 1,848 repatriated so far this year.