Top hospitality worker murdered in MoBay, police follow leads
The Montego Bay police say they are following strong leads into the killing of hospitality worker Dean Moriah, who was stabbed several times on the upper body and fingers, and who reportedly died at the Cornwall Regional Hospital yesterday morning.
Moriah's house was set ablaze and his car stolen.
Moriah, who served in the tourism industry for more than 20 years, was named the 2010 Individual Winner of the Tourism Service Excellence Awards.
"It was his endearing personality that won him the top prize of the Jamaican tourism industry," reads a profile of him written by the Tourism Product Development Company in 2010.
Gunmen take $3 million in KSAC robbery
The police have met with Mayor of Kingston Angela Brown-Burke and her team at the Kingston and St Andrew Corporation (KSAC) to discuss security at the corporation following a multimillion-dollar robbery there yesterday.
"We have pointed out some of the shortcomings and findings and have plans to do a security survey of the area. As we speak, my team is in search of the youngsters who carried out the robbery," head of the Kingston Central Police Division, Superintendent Steve McGregor, told Power 106.
Town Clerk Errol Greene confirmed that gunmen went off with close to $3 million.
Arscott banks on new app for cleaner surroundings
Jamaicans will now be able to take photographs of their messy surroundings and submit them to the Kingston and St Andrew Corporation (KSAC) for action. This has been made possible by the LOVE CLEAN KSA application, a collaborative effort of the KSAC, the London Borough of Lewisham, and the Love Clean Streets network (London), which was launched yesterday.
Noel Arscott, minister of local government and community development, said: "It is not possible for the KSAC alone to maintain the sanitation and to develop the clean country that we require."
He said the the pictures would be closely monitored as the KSAC would be imposing fines for littering.
Fumes from malfunctioning forklift lead to RJR evacuation
The staff of the RJR Communications Group evacuated the Lyndhurst Road building yesterday because of fumes, which also affected other businesses in the area.
Fire personnel, as well as representatives of the National Environment and Planning Agency, who were early on the scene, said the fumes were caused by a malfunctioning forklift that was travelling on Lyndhurst Road.There were no reports of injuries and work was resumed afterwards.
The forklift driver, who asked not to be named, explained that he was driving the rented machine but had to stop after the vehicle overheated.
He said minutes after he parked on Lyndhurst Road, near RJR, he observed people evacuating the building.