Visitors arrive at the University College of the West Indies Chapel for the dedication service in 1962. The chapel was originally built in 1799 as a distillery and rum store at Gale, Trelawny. The Georgian stone building was acquired in 1955. The stones were transported across the island by trucks and reconstructed as a non-denominational place of worship full of regional symbolism. The first corner stone of the building was laid on June 6, 1956, and the first service was held at the chapel on June 21, 1959, and the front portico was added in 1962.