The murky pool that has caused several impromptu 'bleach baths' in downtown Kingston could be gone soon.
Last week, The Gleaner highlighted the problem at the corner of John's Lane and East Queen Street, where pedestrians, including children, had fallen in.
Charles Buchanan, the National Water Commission's corporate public relations manager, said a wastewater team investigated the area last Wednesday after receiving a call from The Gleaner.
Buchanan said the issue resulted from a combination of factors, including a blocked storm drain (East Queen Street) and sewer pipes (John's Lane).
"The principal cause for it is persons continue to discharge solid waste in the sewers," he said. "These systems were not meant for those things."
The NWC is responsible for sewerage systems, and Buchanan said a team is in place to handle the problem.
Douglas Moo, parish manager at the National Works Agency, said two members of that team reported that the drain was actually a catchment basin that had become jammed. As it is on what the NWA considers an 'A' road, it is its responsibility, not that of the parish council.
"We also realised the grating covering the drain has either been removed or eroded over time," he said, explaining why persons have been falling into the grime.
He assured the public the entity would clear the basin and replace the grating, but he was reluctant to give a timeline.
However, Buchanan cautioned that if persons continued throwing solid waste and other non-biodegradable material into the sewers, the problem would recur.
Everton McLean, one of the business persons who first brought the 'pool' to public attention, was thankful for the news but was realistic in his expectations.
"Dem a go waan do it properly, so you know it a go tek time," he said. "But mi nah stop enuh. Mi jus' concern 'bout di pickney dem a drop inna it."