Carl Gilchrist, Gleaner Writer
After being abandoned for over eight years because of safety concerns, the Ocho Rios Courthouse is to be rehabilitated.
According to the recent issue of the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) newsletter, issued October 15, the building has been approved for rehabilitation and upgrading by the TEF and is one of 12 projects recently approved by the fund.
Also listed among the 12 projects is the development and upgrading of Burwood Beach in Trelawny and the beautification of the iron bridge and Emancipation Square in Spanish Town.
The Ocho Rios Courthouse was closed in April 2005 and cases transferred to St Ann's Bay following complaints by persons using the facility about the dilapidated state of the building and the fact that the grounds are usually flooded when it rains.
Since then, the Georgian-style building, constructed in 1890, has continued to deteriorate. In April last year, councillor for the Ocho Rios division, Dr Rohan Williams, in a release, urged the Government to restore the building and allow it to be used as a civic centre.
The TEF newsletter gave no details of the planned upgrading work.