Murders spike in second half of 2013
After keeping murders in check for the first half of the year, the police have seen the bloodletting skyrocket just three months into the second half of the year.
The latest police statistics show that between July 1 and last weekend, 409 murders were reported nationwide. There were 119 murders in July, 121 in August, 112 in September, and 57 up to October 19, each representing an increase when compared with the corresponding periods last year.
In the six months between January 1 and June 30, police statistics show that there were 538 reported murders.
Overall, there have been 947 reported murders this year, a six per cent increase when compared to the corresponding period last year.
Deputy Commissioner Glenmore Hinds said yesterday that gang warfare and an increase in the incidence of murders committed during the course of a robbery are behind the recent spike.
'Foggy' Mullings to be buried today
Seymour 'Foggy' Mullings, a former deputy prime minister and diplomat, is to be laid to rest today.
An official funeral is to be held at the St Matthew's Anglican Church in Claremont in the South East St Ann constituency he represented between 1969 and 2002. His remains will be interred in the churchyard.
Mullings was a former vice-president of the People's National Party (PNP).
Yesterday, Mullings' body was placed for viewing at a location where he spent long periods of his adult life - the PNP's Old Hope Road headquarters in St Andrew.
In addition to being a well-respected politician, Mullings was an accomplished musician, skilled as a pianist and organist.
He died a week and a half ago after battling Alzheimer's disease for some time.
JTA to decide on future of employees after fraud
The Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA) is reporting that a decision will soon be made about the employment status of those implicated in a massive fraud uncovered a few months ago.
JTA President Dr Mark Nicely said three staff members from the accounting department were sent on leave following the discovery of the racket, which he said detectives from the Fraud Squad have now put at more than $60 million.
"A decision will have to be made by the end of this month. The decision could vary from pressing charges to immediate dismissal," Nicely said.
The scam was reportedly uncovered in July, after fraudulent cheques were tendered in the association's name.
Marlon Francis, an employee of 18 years at the association, was fingered as the main culprit in the scam, which initial reports indicated could total $100 million. Francis has reportedly fled the island.