More News In Brief

Published: Saturday | December 7, 2013 Comments 0
JUTC Chairman Garnett Roper
JUTC Chairman Garnett Roper
Terrence Williams
Terrence Williams

  • High-profile caterer suspected of committing suicide
Forty-three-year-old businesswoman Anna-Kaye Ziadie-Lazarus reportedly hanged herself at her home in Jacks Hill, upper St Andrew, on Wednesday. It is reported that her father, Errol Ziadie, found her hanging in a room at the house.

According to the Constabulary Communication Network, Ziadie-Lazarus' body was discovered hanging from a metal grille in a room on Wednesday at about 6 p.m.

She was assisted to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The police say investigations are continuing.

Ziadie-Lazarus was the ex-wife of businessman Saleem Lazarus, and the mother of two boys, aged 10 and 13 years old.

She operated Pineapples and Onions catering service, for which she was famous, as she catered to a number of exclusive clientele and events.

  • INDECOM recommends charges against officers in six cases reviewed October

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) yesterday reported that it had completed 44 commission's reports for the month of October 2013.

In a press release yesterday, the Terrence Williams-led commission said of the 44 reports produced, no charges or disciplinary action was recommended for the concerned officers in 27 of those cases. However, in six cases, it was recommended that charges be laid against the concerned officers.

Additionally, seven police officers were recommended for disciplinary action, representing 16 per cent of the total number of cases reviewed.

The commission closes cases internally by the production of a commission's report, in which recommendations are made for charges to be laid, disciplinary action to be taken, or coroner's inquests to be conducted, among other actions.

  • More JUTC double buses to hit the roads Monday

The Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) will add 20 new articulated buses to its fleet on Monday.

JUTC Chairman Garnett Roper said the double buses would be rolled out sooner than planned in an effort to prevent any inconvenience to commuters owing to protest action from other bus operators.

The additional buses were on the wharf awaiting clearance.

"There was no fiscal space to allow [for] the waiver for those buses. So we are just asking for that to be fast-tracked," Roper said.

The JUTC chairman confirmed yesterday that the Ministry of Finance had granted the waiver.

He said four of the buses would be assigned to Spanish Town routes and three each would be dispatched to Portmore and Rockfort routes.

The other 10 buses will also hit the road on Monday.

Roper said the JUTC would not be relenting on its position to reduce the number of sub-franchise licences from 387 to 250, a decision which prompted several Corporate Area bus operators to strike.

He said this move would allow the JUTC to provide a more safe and secure public-transportation system in the Kingston Metro-politan Transport Region.

  • Armed rapist being sought for abusing schoolgirls

Three girls at a high school in northern St Catherine were on Thursday sexually assaulted by an armed intruder on the school compound.

Elaine Foster-Allen, permanent secretary in the education ministry, confirmed that an incident took place on the school grounds, but she was unable to divulge much information as the police are currently investigating.

She, however, said a part of the school's fencing had been in a state of disrepair for some time, and it appears the perpetrator might have gained entrance through that part of the fence.

"We have requested information on any additional security that the school may need, and I should receive this information by Monday and we will be dealing with the fence," Foster-Allen said.

She said the incident has traumatised students and staff, and as such, the ministry has dispatched a team to offer counselling.

Meanwhile, the St James police are reporting that there is now an increasing number of reports of females who are being lured into performing "sexual activities which are secretly videotaped and photographed without their consent".

The release from the police said many of the females affected are children.

They urged parents yesterday to take charge of their children and anyone with information relating to these incidents should contact the St James Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse office at 952-4997, or the St James Criminal Investigation Branch at 953-6191, or the nearest police station.

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs

Videos