Tue | May 21, 2019

Late strike nets draw for August Town

Published:Monday | December 9, 2013 | 12:00 AM
August Town defender Gereld Neil (back to camera) prepares to tackle Montego Bay United's Lesly St Fleur, during yesterday's Red Stripe Premier League football match at Wespow Park in St James. St Fleur was on target for MoBay United, who were held to a 1-1 draw. - photo BY Paul Clarke

Adrian Frater, News Editor


Strugglers August Town rescued themselves from what looked like certain defeat yesterday afternoon, when a brilliant stoppage-time free kick by Lennox Creary gave them a 1-1 draw against Montego Bay United Football Club (MBUFC) in the Red Stripe Premier League fixture at Wespow Park.

In a game of fluctuating fortunes, MBUFC dominated the first half, but only had a Lesly St Fleur goal to show, as they could easily have scored two or three more with greater composure.

For their part, August Town had the better of the second half and probably deserved the point they got.

By virtue of the 1-1 stalemate, the MBUFC outfit, which started the game as the competition's joint leaders with Harbour View on 20 points, moved up to 21 while August Town, which came into the match-up in 10th place on 10 points, moved up to 11.

"I believe this game will help us to establish a comfort level going forward. We were quite competitive today and I think we actually controlled the second half," said August Town's coach, Bradley Stewart.

"Going a goal down early in an away fixture is always difficult, but, thankfully, we were able to bounce back today," he added.

For MBUFC, failure to hang onto their 11th-minute lead, was a bitter pill for coach Donovan Duckie to swallow.


"We wasted far too many chances in this game, and then to turn around and give up a soft goal is kind of difficult to accept," said Duckie. "We were targeting 23 points at this stage of the competition and now we are short by two, we really were expecting maximum points today."

In an enterprising opening exchange in which both teams gave as good as they got, MBUFC had the edge and with the game 11 minutes old, Kemiro James floated down the left flank and crossed perfectly to St Fleur, whose brilliant header left the goalkeeper a mere spectator and making the score 1-0 in the process.

MBUFC went into overdrive after their goal but a combination of steady defending and faulty finishing prevented them from expanding their one-goal advantage.

In the second half, August Town begun to look more purposeful with the wily veteran Kevin Wilson looking quite threatening going down the middle. On one occasion, he hit a well-struck grounder, which the goalkeeper handled well.

With time running out in the game and MBUFC looking as if they were just playing out time, the referee called an infringement on the edge of their penalty area. Jacomeno Barrett, in goal for the MBUFC team, placed himself behind the wall and the free kick by Creary gave him no chance, making the final score 1-1.

Yesterday's results

MoBay United 1 August Town 1

Rivoli United 1 Humble Lion 1

Sporting Central 2 Boys' Town 0

Portmore United 2Waterhouse2

Harbour View 1 Tivoli 0

Today's match

7 p.m. Arnett Gardens vs Cavalier at Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex