Alleged former Shower Posse boss sues gov't

Published: Tuesday | December 10, 2013 Comments 0

When Richard Morrison was extradited to the United States on June 12, 1991, he had filed a notice for leave to appeal to the United Kingdom Privy Council to challenge an alleged breach of the Extradition Act.

The court documents disclosed that on July 4, 1990, Morrison was detained at the Central Police Station, pending an identification parade, on charges of alleged illegal possession of firearm and shooting with intent.

The next day, senior police officers and army officers visited him in his cell and advised him that an attempt would be made to kidnap him and take him to the United States and that he should resist all such attempts. Later that day, he was given additional security by Jamaica Defence Force officers, who remained for the time that Morrison remained in custody at the police station.

As a result of those actions, the proposed identification parade was never held and no charges were laid against him.

On July 6, 1990, the US government sent a request for his extradition to Florida to face charges of conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute cocaine and marijuana, murder, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder.

An extradition hearing was held in the Resident Magistrate's Court and an order was made for Morrison to be extradited. He took the issue to the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal and lost.

Morrison, who states that he is a businessman, said he was advised by an attorney-at-law that he had a strong appeal, and on April 29, 1991, he filed a notice for an application for leave to appeal to the Privy Council to challenge the minster's constitutional authority to sign the warrant. The notice was served on the minister of justice.

On June 5, 1991, the attorney general signed the warrant to surrender Morrison to the United States of America.

Morrison is claiming that his unlawful extradition caused him to suffer a breach of his constitutional right to liberty and due process. He said although the minister had advised the United States Embassy in Kingston that he had been wrongfully surrendered and requested his immediate return to the the Jamaican authorities for him to complete his appeal, that was never done.

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs