Kartel trial to go on break
The murder trial of entertainer Vybz Kartel and his four co-accused will break tomorrow to give jurors sufficient time to prepare for the festive season and continue on January 6.
Yesterday, the jurors did not hear evidence expected, as the court heard evidence in their absence from a telecommunication expert.
Justice Lennox Campbell asked the jurors to return tomorrow afternoon for a particular witness to testify at the trial in the Home Circuit Court. He told the jurors that he had to do a balancing act because this week the court had to take the testimony of a witness who is going to be out of the country.
The jurors could not sit today as the court was told that two of them had prior engagements - one juror is to attend a funeral this morning and on Friday a juror has an appointment.
When Campbell asked when the trial would resume next year, Senior Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Jeremy Taylor said he had taken instructions and the trial would resume on January 2. Last week, Campbell had asked the jurors for their input as to when the trial should continue.
The foreman juror, in responding to the date proposed, told the judge that the jurors were suggesting January 6.
"Whatever to accommodate the jurors, we will abide with it," responded attorney-at-law Tom Tavares-Finson, who is representing Kartel.
Campbell then advised the jurors to remember not to discuss the case with anyone and that they should not be disloyal to their oath.
Kartel, whose real name is Adidja Palmer, is charged with fellow entertainer Shawn Campbell, also known as 'Shawn Storm'; Kahira Jones; Shane Williams; and André St John, also called 'Madsus', for the murder of Clive 'Lizard' Williams.
It is being alleged that Williams, a 27-year-old dancer of Waterford, St Catherine, was killed when he was taken to Kartel's house at 7 Swallowfield Avenue in Havendale, St Andrew, to be questioned in connection with two missing guns. No body has been recovered.