Arnett extend unbeaten run against Tivoli

Published: Thursday | December 19, 2013 Comments 0

Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

Despite Arnett Gardens' early season struggles, they maintained their dominance over west-Kingston neighbours Tivoli Gardens after defeating them 2-1 in their 13th-round Red Stripe Premier League encounter yesterday at Edward Seaga Sports Complex.

Newton Sterling and Jarmar Jackson scored in the 13th and 66th minutes, respectively, to earn the Junglists only their fourth victory of the season.

Tivoli's consultation was netted by Christopher Jackson in the 79th minute.

Arnett ended the game with 10 players after André Clennon committed his second bookable offence in the 75th minute and was ejected by referee Gawane Scott.

The result moved the Jerome Waite-coached Arnett one place up the 12-team standings to ninth, with 15 points.

Tivoli, still searching for their first victory over Arnett since February 8, 2012, remain third on 18.

Arnett have now recorded three victories over Tivoli in their last six RSPL meetings, with the other three ending in draws.

"The team played assiduously today and really fought well," Waite expressed. "Tivoli are in the top three, so you can't under-estimate them, and today the Arnett Gardens team rose above expectations."


Arnett took the lead with their first real attack when their leading scorer, Sterling, was allowed two bites of the cherry in the box. His first shot was brilliantly stopped by Edsel Scott in Tivoli's goal, but Sterling hammered the rebound into the roof for his sixth goal of the season.

Scott suffered a facial injury during the play, which resulted in a two-minute stoppage. He went down on two other occasions, requiring treatment, and had to eventually be replaced by Davin Watkins in the 53rd minute.

This proved a costly substitution for Tivoli, as nine minutes after coming on, Watkins appeared to have comfortably caught a 30-yard free kick by Jackson, only for the ball to slip from his grasp and trickle over the goal line.

Tivoli did not let their heads drop and fought to find a way back in the game, while introducing Keammar Daley and Dwayne Smith. Jackson gave them a lifeline when he found the back of Arnett's net with a crisp half volley from the top of the area in the 79th minute. The shot gave Arnett's custodian, Peter Harrison - who was brilliant in the goal, pulling off a number of superb saves - no chance.

Tivoli's search for an equaliser fizzled out as they too had to play the closing stages of the match with 10 players after André Morgan suffered an injury which forced him to leave the field with his team having already made their three allotted changes.


Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs