Waterhouse clip Cavalier

Published: Friday | December 20, 2013 Comments 0
Damarley Samuels (front) got the winning goal for Waterhouse. - file
Damarley Samuels (front) got the winning goal for Waterhouse. - file

Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

Waterhouse aven-ged their first round 1-0 loss to Cavalier after defeating them by a similar scoreline in their 13th round Red Stripe Premier League encounter yesterday at the Drewsland Stadium.

The game's lone goal was netted by Damarley Samuels in the 84th minutes.

"I feel very good to know that I'm a defender and come up front and score," Samuels, formerly of Sporting Central expressed. "I just took the chance and did it for the team and coaching staff."

In another match played yesterday at Effortville in Clarendon, Humble Lion, with goals from Kemeale Wolfe (32nd) and Denzil Watson (84th) beat Sporting Central 2-1. Jamony Powell (90th) scored for the losers.

At Drewsland, both teams ended the game with 10 players, as Waterhouse's Jermaine 'Tuffy' Anderson and Cavalier's Andre Forbes were ejected by referee Dwight Royal in the 73rd minute for violent conduct.

The win, which was Waterhouse's sixth of the season propelled them one place up the 12-team standings to third with 21 points.

Cavalier have slipped one place down to seventh, as they remain on 17 points.

The first half was void of clear goal-scoring opportunities.

Waterhouse's best chance fell to Anderson in the 20th minute but his headed effort from seven yards out went inches over the crossbar.

The intensity showed by both teams in the second stanza compensated for lack of quality in play.

Cavalier's custodian, Gariece McPherson, was forced to make his first telling save of the game in the 62nd minute when he acrobatically plucked a Weston Forrest 20-yard free-kick out of the air.

Missed opportunity

McPherson then picked himself up to release Chevone Marsh on the counter. Marsh took possession midway Waterhouse's half and made his way into the penalty area, but fired inches wide of the left post from an acute angle.

Cavalier was soon made to rue that missed opportunity, as Samuels, who had started at wing back but moved into attack, as Waterhouse went in search of the winner pounced on a loose ball in the 18-yard box and hammered it past McPherson in goal.

"We have been giving up some soft goals of late and we really have to look at what is happening with the back line,"Cavalier's coach, David Laylor, shared. "We have to be consistently changing and moving around players, so you going to find these things happening from time to time, but hopefully we can fix it before it gets too bad."

Waterhouse's coach, Junior Francis, said his team had put in a lot of training ahead of the match.

"We did a lot of work this week and it paid off," Francis said. "We will be looking to keep pace with Harbour View and try our best to climb the ladder."


Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs