Thu | Aug 13, 2020

Final destination - Tivoli, August Town win Bell KO semis

Published:Monday | February 3, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Ryon Jones, Staff Reporter

Tivoli Gardens and August Town advanced to the final of the Kingston and St Andrew Football Association/Jamaica Yellow Pages Jackie Bell KO last night.

Tivoli defeated Boys' Town 3-1 on penalties in the first semi-final after the teams were locked 1-1 at the end of extra time. August Town pulled off an upset as they defeated National Premier League leaders Harbour View 1-0. Kemar Bryan scored the winner in the 63rd minute.

Peter Keys gave Boys' Town the lead in the seventh minute in their match, but this was cancelled out in the 15th minute when Boys' Town's Asrick Samuels scored an own goal. Despite several scoring opportunities for both teams, the deadlock could not be broken during full and extra time, forcing penalties.

Earlier Boys' Town were dealt a huge blow in the 28th minute when Keys had to be substituted after sustaining a groin injury.

During the dreaded penalty shoot-out, only Kevin Blackwood put his penalty past Tivoli keeper Deron Duncan, while Christopher Jackson, Kemar Flemmings and Navion Boyd netted for Tivoli.

Boys' Town's captain Michael Campbell and Kirk Porter saw their spot kicks saved by Duncan, while 17-year-old Rohan Scott fired wide. Rohan Reid was Tivoli's only unsuccessful kicker, as his attempt was turned around the post by Boys' Town's custodian Porter.


Tivoli's goal during normal play came by the way of an own goal, but Boys' Town's was just as fortuitous. Duncan spilled an innocuous-looking 30-yard free kick from Daemion Benjamin, allowing Keys to steal in and toe-poke home.

Duncan, who was standing in for regular keeper Edsel Scott, endured the wrath of the Tivoli supporters, but redeemed himself in the penalty shoot-out with two huge saves.

"Right through I spoke to him (Duncan) and told him to lift himself as that was gone," Tivoli's coach, Glendon 'Admiral' Bailey, shared. "When it came down to penalties, I gave him another talk and told him that this was his opportunity to make up for the mistake and people will remember him for the good that he did in bringing us to the final, and it worked."

The shoot-out did not bring such joy for Boys' Town's coach, Andrew Price, as he witnessed his team getting eliminated from the competition by the same method for the third consecutive year. The two previous occasions they had lost on penalties in the final.

"The penalty kicks don't really work out for us," Price reasoned. "But to be honest, my young team today gave a lot of effort, they really played well and ... we should have won the game during regular time."