Wed | Nov 14, 2018

Jamaica retain Women's Super50 crown

Published:Thursday | August 14, 2014 | 12:00 AM

ROSEAU, Dominica (CMC):

Jamaica crushed Guyana by 218 runs yesterday, to retain their Regional Women's Super50 Championship title.

Sent in at Windsor Park, the Jamaicans rattled up an imposing 309 for seven off 50 overs, with Natasha McLean slamming 96, Chenelle Henry, 85, Chedean Nation, 42 and Jody-Ann Morgan 38.

Hasena Mohammed (2-50), Akaze Thompson (2-61) and Phaffiana Millington (2-66) all picked up two wickets apiece.

In reply, Guyana were routed by off-spinner Vanessa Watts, who snatched five for 21, while left-arm seamer Alecia Bookal supported with two for 17.

No Guyana batsman managed to pass 20 with Hasena Mohammed the top scorer with 19 not out, batting at number nine.

Jamaica used their powerful batting line-up to take control of the encounter from early, with McLean and Morgan adding 51 for the first wicket. McLean faced 94 balls and smashed eight fours and eight sixes, while Morgan, who hit a century in the last round of preliminary games, counted seven fours and a six in a knock consuming 37 balls.

productive stand

When Morgan fell, followed quickly by international batting star Stafanie Taylor for just five, McLean posted another 77 for the third wicket with Henry, who hit 12 fours off 87 balls.

When the 19-year-old right-handed McLean perished at 160 for three in the 27th over, Henry was joined by Chedean Nation in another productive stand, which yielded 80 for the fourth wicket.

Nation faced 44 balls and struck seven fours.

Faced with a mammoth task in winning the game, Guyana slumped to 36 for three in the 16th over and never recovered.

Melanie Henry fell in the fifth over for two with the score on eight, and captain June Ogle followed 17 off 34 balls at 24 for two in the 11th over. Katana Mentore perished in the 16th over for 10, to leave Guyana in strife.

They recovered briefly through a 25-run, fourth-wicket stand between Kavita Yadram (15) and Shemaine Campbelle (8), but Watts came on to wreck the innings as the last seven wickets fell for 30 runs.