Tue | Mar 28, 2017

Robbery case put off till Sept 18

Published:Saturday | September 6, 2014 | 9:00 AM

Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:The case against three St James men who are charged in connection with the theft of a woman's BlackBerry cell phone has been deferred to September 18 in order to assign a lawyer to one of the defendants.

Ewen Doyle and Keith Forbes of Montego Bay addresses, are charged with robbery with aggravation committed against Alexa Reid. Christopher Wedderburn, also of Montego Bay, is charged with receiving stolen property.

Doyle's bail was extended, and both Forbes and Wedderburn were remanded following their appearance in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Monday.

The allegations are that on May 8, at approximately 11 p.m., Reid was walking along Barnett Street in Montego Bay when she saw two men along the roadway. One of the men, armed with a ratchet knife, approached Reid and robbed her of her handbag and her BlackBerry phone before making their escape.

Reid reported the matter to the police, and Doyle and Forbes were later pointed out in an identification parade.

It is further alleged that on June 12, acting on information, the investigating officer went to the Charles Gordon Market and saw Wedderburn with a cellular phone that was identified as Reid's. Wedderburn was subsequently arrested and charged. He was also charged for possession of less than an ounce of ganja.

On Monday, the court was told that although the legal-aid office had been contacted in order to assign a lawyer for Wedderburn, this had not been done.

"I will set an early date for that assignment to be made. The matter will be mentioned on September 18," said Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tai.