Sun | Apr 23, 2017

Government repels attack on airport

Published:Sunday | September 14, 2014 | 9:00 AM

KIEV, (AP):Despite the ceasefire agreement, renewed fighting flared up yesterday in eastern Ukraine between pro-Russian rebels and government forces, while Moscow sent a second convoy of trucks into Ukraine without Kiev's consent.

Ukraine's military operation said in a statement that it had successfully repelled a rebel attack on the government-held Donetsk airport, which came under artillery fire from rebel positions late last Friday.

Despite the truce imposed last week, continuous rocket fire could be heard overnight in Donetsk. A statement posted on the city council website said that shells had hit residential buildings near the airport, although no casualties were reported. A column of three GRAD rocket launchers — all its rockets still in place — was seen moving freely through the rebel-held city yesterday morning.

Ukrainian authorities also admitted, for the first time, that they have inflicted casualties on the rebel side since the start of the ceasefire.

A spokesman for the Ukrainian National Security and Defence Council, said that 12 rebel fighters had been killed by Ukrainian forces. The spokesman also said that six Ukrainian servicemen had died since the start of the truce.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has been at pains to prove that the cease-fire deal has yielded improvements on the ground in east Ukraine. Last Friday, he lauded the deal, which has been riddled by violations since it was imposed last week, as a "fragile, but efficient peace process".