Tue | Dec 6, 2016

2011 housebreaking case set for Sept 24

Published:Saturday | September 20, 2014 | 12:00 AM

WESTERN BUREAU:The case against a St James man, who allegedly robbed the home of his employer in 2011, has been deferred to September 24 to allow the police time to create a case file in the defendant's matter.

Brian Brown, of a Montego Bay address, is charged with housebreaking and larceny. He was remanded in police custody when he appeared in court on Monday.

The allegations are that on February 11, 2011, Brown broke into the home of Burdette Clemenson, to whom he had been employed as a gardener, and stole a number of items, including US$1,100 (J$123,915 approx), two cellular phones, several pairs of shoes and a number of handbags. Clemenson subsequently made a report to the police and Brown reportedly fled the area.

On Monday, clerk of the court Natalie Malcolm told presiding magistrate Carolyn Tie that the investigating officer could not say why it had taken the police so long to locate Brown.

"I spoke to the investigating officer. The police could not find the accused man as he had relocated ... he could have been in prison serving a sentence, but they could not confirm that," said Malcolm.

The court was also told that the police needed time to confirm the information on Brown's whereabouts up to the time of his arrest, and to create a file to that effect, for the prosecution.

"Sir, you will be brought back here on September 24," RM Tie told Brown, as he was remanded in police custody.

- Christopher Thomas