Fri | Oct 19, 2018

5K full hundred

Published:Monday | September 22, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Let's face it, I'm no fitness buff. I try to exercise at least twice a week, but that doesn't always happen. Plus I eat too much, plain and simple. So when I thought about doing a 5k run, I figured I was either crazy or going through some kind of premature mid-life crisis (I'm leaning more to the latter). But The Gleaner 180 5k would benefit PALS and the physiotherapy department of the University Hospital of the West Indies. Both entities do very good work, so I signed up.

Plus, what did I have to lose? My self-respect? Lost that years ago. My breakfast? Wouldn't be having any. My biggest fear was that I would oversleep and miss the run. Wake up at 4 a.m. on a Saturday morning? Grief! But the mind coaxed this pudgy frame up. All the way to the start line, I wondered if I even knew how to warm-up properly. I even tried cramming to see what I could learn about running a 5k, but gave up. It didn't really matter though as no sooner did I get there, the gun sounded. So I was off, whether I was ready or not.

I joked that I would run out of gas before one kilometre. But apparently my late-ish arrival worked to my benefit. Even if I wanted to start off like a hare whose tail was on fire, the sheer numbers in front of me stopped me from going out too fast. So a steady pace I kept.

Puffing, huffing and the knees already creaking, I turned on to South Camp Road. Just as I was feeling good about myself, I realised that near Sabina Park, but we were just at the 1k post. Four more of this??? Should have stayed in bed. So I continued rumbling. And the body kept going up the deceptive ascent of South Camp. Turn on to Camp Road and I'm still chugging. This is great! And then I got passed in a gust of wind, by a walker. A walker! Good thing we were on asphalt. If it was dirt, the dust would have blinded me. A tad disheartened I pressed on; no sense in stopping now anyway. I'd practically done three of the five kilometres, so I had to keep going.

Finish line in sight, my brain asked my legs to finish with a sprint. And my legs answered "Look yah boss man, we reach this far and yuh nuh drop. Don't push it!" So I coasted to the finish and that's when I really started feeling pain, especially in areas I didn't even know I had. But I measure the success/failure of my endeavours based on my initial expectations. I did it in 35:07 minutes, not a world-leading time, but I'm satisfied. The winner did the course in under 17 minutes. Good fi him! I did my best.

As for doing another one? Let me sleep on that. Zzzzz

Run with me at