Accused lottery scammer bail extended
A St James man, who was arrested after material connected to the illicit lottery scam was reportedly found at his house last year, had his bail extended to October 8 when he appeared in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.
Nineteen-year-old O'Bryan Cover, who is of a Catadupa address, is charged with possession of identity information in relation to the lottery scam. His bail was extended after the prosecution told presiding magistrate Carolyn Tie that its case file was not ready.
The allegations are that on November 22, 2013, a joint police and military operation went to Cover's house with a search warrant. During a search of the premises, 26 lead sheets with contact information of persons living overseas were reportedly found, and Cover was subsequently arrested and charged.
On Tuesday, clerk of the court Yanique Henry revealed that the investigating officer was liaising with representatives from the Major Organised Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency (MOCA) to complete the file.
"The investigating officer is indicating to the court that he is having difficulty with the representative from MOCA. He has just spoken to MOCA and they are indicating another two weeks, your honour," Henry told Tie.
Tie subsequently set October 8 as the new mention date for Cover's case to return to court.
"You are to return here on October 8. Your bail is extended until then," Tie told Cover.