Molletes con Salsa Pico de Gallo
8 small French-style bread rolls. If large French-style bread is used, cut into 4 pieces (can be replaced by some other types of bread, e.g., bran or sliced bread)
1 cup of crushed cooked black beans (crushed from can or homemade)
400g of Manchego cheese (you can substitute cheddar or mozzarella)
Pico de gallo salsa
Pico de Gallo Salsa:
1 small onion
1 serrano pepper (you can use Scotch bonnet pepper substitute)
1/2 of Lime
Handful of cilantro
1 pinch of powdered black pepper
1 pinch salt or all-purpose powdered seasoning
Preparation of Molletes:
1. Cut the bread roll in half lengthwise and put butter to brown in a hot skillet over medium-low heat or in the oven.
2. Grate cheese or cut into long thin strips.
3. Take toasted bread, first spread butter, put crushed beans and then grated cheese, covering the entire surface of the roll.
4. Return to oven to bake or pan (closing the lid) to broil the cheese.
5. Remove from the oven once cheese has melted (approx. 5 min). Be careful not to burn the bread.
6. Serve two pieces on each plate accompanied by Mexican pico de gallo salsa.
Preparation of Pico de Gallo Salsa:
1. Wash and dry the tomatoes and cilantro.
2. Chop the onion, tomato, pepper (add more or less depending on your preference), and cilantro finely into squares.
3. Place the chopped ingredients in a bowl and mix them with a spoon.
4. Add a pinch of salt or seasoning, black pepper, and lemon.
5. Taste and if necessary, add salt.