Wed | Dec 7, 2016

Couple on fraud charges given extension to repay J$2 million

Published:Saturday | October 4, 2014 | 12:00 AM

WESTERN BUREAU:A Westmoreland couple who reportedly conned two bus drivers out of J$2 million, last year, had their case deferred to October 13, following their appearance in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Monday.

André Poorman, who is from George's Plain in Westmoreland, is jointly charged with Latesha Saunders for fraudulent conversion, obtaining money by false pretence, and conspiracy to defraud. Poorman was remanded in police custody, while Saunders had her bail extended after the court was asked for an extension of time to repay the defrauded sum of money.

It is alleged that sometime in August 2013, Poorman and Saunders, while purporting to be the operators of a tour company, approached the two complainants and asked them to lease their buses to their purported bus fleet. The two accused informed the complainants that they needed to sell their buses and buy new ones, and $2 million was collected from them for this purpose.

When the new buses were not forthcoming, the two complainants made a police report. Poorman was subsequently arrested on August 28, 2013, while Saunders was held on September 24, 2013.

"Has any money been brought today?" Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tie asked Poorman, when the couple appeared in court on Monday.

"No, Your Honour," said Poorman.

"On the last occasion, you said it was just to be transferred," Tie said with disapproval.

"I just need a little more time ... give me two weeks," Poorman pleaded.

"Two Mondays from today is the 13th of October. You will be brought back on that day," Tie told Poorman. "Ma'am, you are to return to court on that day," the magistrate addressed Saunders before allowing her to leave the courtroom, while Poorman was sent back to custody.

- Christopher Thomas