Wed | Jan 16, 2019

Petersfield brush aside Rusea's

Published:Thursday | October 9, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Paul Clarke, Gleaner Writer

Western Bureau: Petersfield High went 85 minutes before Akeem Whyte settled the matter with a superb goal to put away former Cup winners Rusea's High in the first match of a Frome Sports Complex double-header in the inter-zone round of the daCosta Cup yesterday.

The all-important goal was something of beauty, as Petersfield's talismanic captain and playmaker took his effort with aplomb, smashing a half volley past Rusea's' keeper Oniel Lewis. It was his fifth goal of the campaign, after he was rested with a bad knee for their final group match last week against Black River.

The move included five players before it was fed from the right flank to Whyte, who had time to fire on sight on the half volley, leaving his coach speechless.

"I cannot say how good that goal was from Akeem," said Petersfield coach Delroy Delisser.

"He is definitely a class player and his quality helped us to a win that I am very happy about. We need to win this zone to make the Super Cup round. It's a great start and we have some ways to go, but it's victories such as this that will build character," Delisser said.

In the second match of the afternoon, Frome the 2003 champions, defeated 2005 winners Godfrey Stewart High 1-0, thanks to a wonderfully taken free kick from captain Jermaine Clarke in the 61st minute.

The victory gives them sole leadership of Zone One, on a day that the unbeaten Cornwall College dropped points in a 0-0 draw with Muschett in the second match of the Jarrett Park double-header in Zone Two.

In the first game, Green Pond were held to a 1-1 stalemate by William Knibb.

Tough nut

Champions STETHS were ruthless in a 5-1 win over Holmwood Technical in Zone Three action at Kirkvine, and Manchester High proved as unrelenting with a 2-0 win over Edwin Allen in the first match of the Juici Field double-header.

In the feature match there, Mile Gully proved a tough nut to crack, but eventually fell 1-0 to a dominant Clarendon College in Zone Four, with a strike from Criagton Charlton in the 77th minute, while surprise package Lacovia High defeated Christiana 2-1. Charlton was scoring his fourth goal of the competition.

Vere Technical failed to take advantage of the long drive undertaken by the St James team and succumbed to a 3-0 loss at the STETHS ground, while Glenmuir eased to a 2-0 win over Morant Bay to share the lead on three points with St James.