EBOLA FACTS - HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF
Published:Saturday | October 11, 2014 | 12:00 AM
- Make it a regular practice to wash hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser or antibacterial hand wipes.
- DO NOT handle items that may come in contact with an Ebola-infected person's blood or body fluids, like clothes, bedding, needles, medical equipment. ALWAYS wear protective gear if you must handle infected items.
- When visiting patients in the hospital or caring for someone with the disease, ALWAYS wear protective gear. After contact, properly dispose of contaminated equipment such as needles, syringes, and gloves and thoroughly wash hands.
- If you suspect an animal is infected, do not handle it. Immediately call the health authorities.
- Avoid contact with wild animals, especially monkeys, gorillas, chimpanzees, or fruit bats, which are main animal carriers of Ebola.