Wed | Oct 18, 2017

Sports News In Brief - Djokovic, Federer set up Shanghai semi

Published:Saturday | October 11, 2014 | 12:00 AM
  • Djokovic, Federer set up Shanghai semi

SHANGHAI (AP):

Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer set up a rematch of their Wimbledon final with convincing straight-set wins to reach the semi-finals of the Shanghai Masters yesterday.

The top-ranked Djokovic defeated David Ferrer 6-4, 6-2 to extend his winning streak in China to 28 matches, while Federer played a nearly flawless second set to beat Julien Benneteau of France 7-6 (4), 6-0.

It will be the 36th meeting in their rivalry, which has been remarkably close, with Federer taking 18 of their matches and Djokovic 17. The players have split their four matches this year, though Djokovic earned the far bigger prize with his second Wimbledon trophy in July.

  • Husbands retakes lead

TORONTO, Canada (CMC):

Patrick Husbands won twice on Wednesday's eight-race card at Woodbine, producing two front-running efforts, to retake the lead in a heated jockeys' championship.

The Barbadian reinsman scored in race one over six furlongs with 2-1 chance Pankhurst and returned in race two over a mile and sixteenth to win with 3-1 bet Command Force.

Husbands now has 127 wins for the season, but is only one clear of Mexican Luis Contreras, the three-time defending champion.

He had lost the lead briefly last week after a couple lean returns at the Etobicoke racing oval.

Brazilian Eurico Rosa da Silva, the 2010 champion, lies third on 106 in a jockeys' championship that has turned into a three-way race.

  • WI say dispute no threat to series, says BCCI

NEW DELHI, India (CMC):

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) says there is "no threat" to India's ongoing home series against the West Indies despite a bitter pay dispute between the visiting cricketers and the West Indies Players' Association.

BCCI secretary, Sanjay Patel, says matches will be played as scheduled after West Indies cricketers threatened strike action hours away from the first of the five one-day internationals (ODI) against India.

"I want to clarify that there is no threat to the India versus West Indies series. The matches will go on as per schedule," said BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel.

"In fact, I have spoken to a few officials from the WICB and have got assurance that there will be no disruption."

The players have protested the new terms of WIPA's CBA/MOU deal with the WICB, arguing that the new agreement has reduced their income and that their Test, ODI and Twenty20 fees had been decreased by 75 per cent.