Mon | Sep 24, 2018

Amoya home at last!

Published:Sunday | October 12, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Mystery surrounds teen who returned to her family almost one year after disappearing

Jolyn Bryan, Sunday Gleaner Writer

Just weeks shy of one year after she disappeared from a house in Cumberland, Portmore, St Catherine, 15-year-old schoolgirl Amoya Anderson is back with her family.

Cheryl Morgan, who used The Sunday Gleaner in March to make an impassioned plea for her daughter to return home last week, confirmed that the family is now reunited.

According to a source close to the family, Morgan received a text from Amoya on Wednesday, October 1, telling her that she was coming home the following Saturday. The source says the teenager would not indicate the significance of the Saturday or why she could not return home immediately.

Desperate to hug her daughter once again, Morgan reportedly kept in contact with Amoya throughout the week,

The source further reports that Amoya contacted her mother on the Friday night and asked her to pick her up the following day.

Accompanied by an investigator from the Greater Portmore Police Station, Morgan met up with Amoya on Saturday morning at a shopping mall in Montego Bay, St James.

Apart from being a few pounds lighter, Amoya reportedly showed no obvious signs of abuse or ill-treatment.


While her family is still not sure what happened to the teenager, where she was, or why she left in the first place, they are overjoyed to have her back.

"Her mother developed so many health issues in the time Amoya was gone. She had vascular problems, relating to a mild heart attack. Now that her daughter is home it is hoped all this will go away," said the source.

On October 27, 2013, Amoya, dressed in black pants, a red shirt and black-and-red sneakers, left her house in Cumberland, Portmore, St Catherine, and disappeared without a trace.

On the day of her disappearance, she left a 4-year-old child she was babysitting, her keys to the house, and a farewell note.

Two weeks after she went missing a post on her page on the social network site Facebook said: "Stop searching for her, the little no manners b@#h she aint in Jamaica, she aint hurt and she is ok and as far as I knw she do not wanna have anything to do with her family".

Police investigators are still probing the circumstances of her disappearance and her recent return home.