EBOLA FACTS - Keep Ebola Patients Hydrated
Published:Saturday | October 25, 2014 | 12:00 AM
- Patients with the Ebola virus need plenty of fluids to keep hydrated, as the high fever severely dehydrates the body. Water, soup, fruit juices, coconut water and tea, especially herbal tea, are very good. Absolutely no alcohol.
- The deadly Ebola virus causes sudden high fever, extreme tiredness, headache, body pain, loss of appetite, so nutritious fluids can also be used to supply the body with the essential nutrients.
- Severely ill Ebola patients require intensive supportive care. Because they are frequently dehydrated, everyday they will need intravenous fluids or liters of oral rehydration with solutions that contain electrolytes.
- If you do not have Oral Rehydration Salt at home, you can make your own. In one litre of clean water, add six teaspoons of sugar and half teaspoon of salt.
- Other key treatments include maintaining proper oxygen level and blood pressure and treating other infections that may develop.