Sat | Sep 22, 2018

Benjamin double sinks Cavalier

Published:Saturday | December 20, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer

Striker Juvaune Benjamin flourished, as he netted a brace to lead Waterhouse to a come-from-behind 2-1 victory over Cavalier in the quarter-finals of the KSAFA/Jackie Bell Knockout competition at the Drewsland stadium on Thursday night.

Benjamin, a former Excelsior High Manning Cup standout, netted his goals in the 53rd and 61st minutes to lead the Anthony Patrick-coached team into the semi-finals of this year's competition. Oshane Jenkins scored for Cavalier in the 31st minute.

Benjamin, who had not scored for Waterhouse for five games, was very delighted to end the drought.

"It's a very good feeling - so I must thank God," said Benjamin.

"It has been five straight matches that I haven't score a goal for Waterhouse ... so I am just glad I was able to score two tonight," he said.

Jenkins stunned the home team when he fired past discarded national goalkeeper Richard McCallum. Cavalier led 1-0 at half-time.


However, Jenkins, who played a very dominant role in midfield for his team, was substituted at the start of the second half, as a result of an injury. With Jenkins out, Waterhouse took control of the second half and Benjamin gave them the equaliser when he arrived at the back post to fire home a left-side cross from Romario Campbell.

A long-range shot from Benjamin was then deflected past Kadeem Davis and into the back of the net.

Patrick said his team showed a lot of guts and determination after going behind at half-time.

"We showed a lot of dominance in the first half, but we were unlucky not to score some goals," said Patrick. "However, we came out in the second half and we dominated the game and we scored two goals and I am happy for that," he said.

Patrick added: "We are now into the semi-finals and we're happy for that, but I know that it won't be easy because Boys' Town are going to be a difficult team to beat."

Meanwhile, Barbican also booked a place in the semi-finals with a 2-1 victory over Rockfort. Mario McDonald (22nd) and Shaquille Lewis (71st) were the goal scorers for Barbican. Akeem Higgins was on target for Rockfort in the 24th minute. Barbican will face Harbour View in the semi-finals.