Sun | Jul 23, 2017

Principal at centre of sex controversy resigns

Published:Saturday | January 3, 2015 | 1:00 AM

Chad Bryan, Staff Reporter

The acting principal of the central Jamaica-based high school embroiled in controversy surrounding sexually explicit photos has resigned.

The chairman of the school board confirmed to The Gleaner on Friday that the board received a letter of resignation recently.

"We received a letter of resignation from the individual, so there was really no need for the board to go any further with investigations," said board chairman Calvin Lyn.

The chairman said the resignation took effect on December 31, 2014.

Meanwhile, parents and students gathered outside the schools gate yesterday morning in anticipation of the outcome of the meeting.

As a board, were putting plans in place to deal with the reopening come Monday so that we will have a smooth reopening of school. We will be meeting with senior members of the school today [Friday] to sensitize them so that they can assist us, Lyn said.

An education ministry official told The Gleaner earlier this week that, with schools set to reopen from the Christmas break on Monday, a decision had to be made quickly.

Speaking on Nationwide Radio on Tuesday, the principal confirmed that he was in the pictures but said the photos were tampered with.

It is understood that the photos were made public earlier this month after the principals cell phone allegedly went missing.

Rumours of the acting principals death had also started to swirl after photos surfaced on the internet of a deceased man on a slab in a morgue. However, the mans family has since buried the rumours, sighting that the principal was alive and well.

The relatives have remained tight-lipped about his whereabouts.