More Sports In Brief
Australia's Lee to quit cricket
SYDNEY (AP):Former Australia fast bowler Brett Lee announced on Thursday his pending retirement from all forms of cricket after a 20-year career.
The 38-year-old Lee stopped playing internationally in July 2012, but had been a Twenty20 regular, both in the Indian Premier League and the domestic competition in Australia.
Lee, who made the announcement at the Sydney Cricket Ground, remains the equal leading wicket-taker for Australia in one-day internationals with Glenn McGrath, with 380 in 221 appearances. Lee also took 310 wickets in 76 tests for Australia.
Lee's Twenty20 team, the Sydney Sixers, has one regular-season match remaining this season.
Younis Khan to play on
ISLAMABAD (AP):Pakistan's experienced middle-order batsman Younis Khan has no plans to quit limited-overs cricket after the World Cup and said yesterday that as long as he stays fit he will continue to be available to play both one-day internationals and Test matches.
The 37-year-old Khan is one of Pakistan's fittest players and forced his way back into the World Cup squad after his scintillating batting form in the Test series against Australia and New Zealand late last year.
He made three centuries in four innings against Australia and another against New Zealand to make the selectors rethink his exclusion from the limited-overs team.
"How come you know that it's my last World Cup?" asked Khan when queried about whether this will be his last major ODI tournament.
"Whenever I feel my body is not allowing me to play, only then I will retire."
Khan has scored 7,177 runs in 259 ODIs with seven centuries and 48 half centuries at an average of 31.75.
Messi will stay
BARCELONA, Spain (AP):Barcelona's president says Lionel Messi wants to stay at the Spanish club amid speculation about his future.
Josep Bartomeu tells Catalunya Radio that Messi "told me that he wants to finish his career at Barca, and his commitment and willingness are maximum. There is no debate about this future."
The president spoke after Messi said at the Ballon d'Or gala on Monday "I am not sure where I will be next year."
Barcelona have had one of their most convulsive months in recent memory after they lost an appeal of a one-year transfer ban, fired their sports director and called for early elections this summer.
Messi had repeatedly said he would play out the better part of his career at Barcelona until finishing it in Argentina.