Newton James new Media Association chair
NEWTON JAMES, managing director of Independent Radio Company, has been appointed chairman of the Media Association Jamaica Limited (MAJ), following an election held at the association's annual general meeting last Tuesday.
James said his greatest concern was the survival of the industry, adding that the media was important to the future of the country.
"The MAJ will continue to seek to expand its membership so that it will be truly represented in the entire industry. Addressing economic challenges by increasing clientele and improving on the free-market environment would be considered. There have been considerable changes in the industry. Therefore, the relationship between the MAJ and the advertising agencies must be strengthened," he said.
The new executive committee:
- Newton James (Independent Radio Co Ltd), chairman
- Christopher Barnes (The Gleaner Company), vice-chairman
- Claire Grant (Television Jamaica), vice-chairman
- Shena Stubbs-Gibson (The Gleaner Company), secretary/legal adviser
- Andrea Messam (RJR Group), treasurer
- Brian Schmidt (Grove Broadcasting Co Ltd)
- Gary Allen (RJR Group)
- Danville Walker (The Jamaica Observer)
- Wayne Chen (CVM TV)