Wed | Sep 26, 2018

I can't stop worrying about my son studying overseas

Published:Wednesday | January 21, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q :  When my son shared that he was going to apply for a scholarship to study in Asia, I was excited. Now that it has come through, I am full of worry. How can I stop worrying?

A: As a parent you will always be concerned, that is normal. You can keep in touch through the great technology we now have, whether Skype or another type of technology format. Encourage him to practise safety habits and skills wherever he goes.

Q: My 17-year-old has decided to move off the campus dorm and live with a friend. She says it is cheaper and easier to cook her meals without joining a line and sharing a refrigerator. I think she might be involved sexually, what do I do?

A: You need to sit and share your concerns frankly with your daughter. Tell her the truth, and weigh the pros and cons of the action that she has decided to take. Remember, you are her mother.

Q: As a mother of a child with diabetes, I wish to encourage parents to be vigilant about their children's health. Parents must be reminded to teach their children good health habits as a simple error can be detrimental. Please ask parents to practise healthy eating habits so that when their children are away from them they will be used to doing the right thing.

A: Thank you for this guidance. We hope and pray that parents will be vigilant and teach their children the best behaviours.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!