You're alive - thank God!
HELLO MI neighbour! Don't miss the purpose for which you were awakened this morning!
Had God relieved you of your breath last night, everything would be different today. I rather doubt that you would even bat an eye at this article. Your ability to smell, touch, see, taste or hear would disappear. Nothing in this world would annoy, entertain or interest you. You'd complain about nothing. No bills to pay: no rent, mortgage, electricity, water, telephone, etc. No creditor to hound you night and day. What freedom!
Never again could anyone discriminate against you! No one, absolutely no one could keep you down. As you rest in peace (hopefully), all cares of this life would vanish away. It would be happy riddance to the Jezebel wife or the satanic husband. No one to cuss yuh out. No ol' crosses to follow yuh! And those lustful thoughts which pass through your mind every so often would pass away.
And who would be bright enough to write you feisty letters about you must come pay up your taxes or else? Or else what!? And which policeman or woman could ever come give you ticket for speeding? And my lady, which husband could accuse you of overspending? Him would have to hold him corner.
If you were a womaniser, 'maniser', boozer, baller, or whatever, according to the Jamaican parlance, your wings would be clipped. Whether it be 10 Benzes in the garage on the hill, or a jalopy in the yard on the plain, it would be neither here nor there. Frequent visits to the doctor, the market, supermarket and favourite restaurant would stop, 'brap'. No more worry, fear, care, success or failure. All those bright ideas to change the world or blaze a success trail would be derailed. Say what?
But back to the present reality - you are alive! You are here today on purpose! Not just to eat, drink and be merry. It is not to amass wealth at the expense of others! Is it to backbite, scandalise and cheat on one another? No! Is it to hurt or rob others who are fighting to make ends meet in our tough economy? A thousand times, no!
Why then would the Giver of Life lend us this precious breath today?
I suggest a few reasons:
- To feed the hungry;
- To clothe the naked;
- To fight for the oppressed;
- To strengthen the weak;
- To build up others;
- To make peace;
- To worship God.
If you are not practising acts of neighbourliness today, you're dishing dirt to your purpose. Why then should the Creator dish you more breath tomorrow?
How about validating your purpose on Earth by helping someone from the list below?
Thanks for helping:
Kevin, St Andrew, offering temporary accommodation to small family.
Doreen, Manchester, for offering to assist Margaret, Manchester, with business start-up.
Terrence, St Andrew, for offering a piece of land to build a little house.
Ethlyn, St James, for offering female clothing.
Mellora, St Andrew, donating a house to a needy neighbour.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR HELPING
- Velma, St Catherine, has a heart condition which needs immediate attention - circulation problem. Asking neighbours for $10,000. Husband got a stroke and cannot help. Also asking for help to fill prescription.
- Jacqueline Kingston, unemployed - father (Lloyd) is bed-ridden and in need of diapers.
- Ann-Marie, St Mary, unemployed - asking for hairdressing chairs or equipment.
- Joy - asking for blocks to help build bathroom.
- Neighbour, St James, asking for chest-of-drawers.
- Shanique, St Mary, first-year student at university. Asking for a second-hand laptop or tablet.
- Jennifer - asking for x-large diapers (pull-ups)
- Donovan - needs a weed whacker to do gardening. HIV positive.
- Neighbour, unemployed, school shoes size 32 and 37 needed. Also second-hand sewing machine.
- Prep School, Kingston, asking for sewing machine for home management classes.
- Neighbour, Kingston, homeless man. In need of food and size 10 shoes.
To help, please call 334-8165, 884-3866, 299-3412 or deposit to acct # 351 044 276 NCB. (Bank routing #: JNCBJMKX) or send donations to Hello Neighbour c/o 53 Half-Way Tree Road, Kingston 10. Email email@example.com.