Tue | Oct 16, 2018


Published:Thursday | January 29, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Ivory Coast qualify

MALABO, Equatorial Guinea (AP):

The luck of the draw will decide the final quarter-finalist at the African Cup of Nations. The Ivory Coast earned their spot from Group D by beating Cameroon 1-0 on Max Gradel's goal yesterday, but Mali and Guinea drew 1-1 yet again, meaning they cannot be separated in the standings. Instead, the African football confederation will put the names of the two teams into balls today at a hotel in Malabo and an official will pick one of them. Whichever one is chosen will advance.

Guinea took the lead when Kevin Constant converted a 15th-minute penalty. Forward Modibo equalised.

St Kitts gets T20 franchise


St Kitts and Nevis will host the newest Caribbean Premier League (CPL) franchise for the 2015 edition of the tournament, organisers have announced. The venue, only added to the roster for last year's campaign, will become the seventh franchise holder, joining Barbados, Jamaica, Guyana, Antigua and Barbuda, Trinidad and Tobago, and St Lucia.

"This is a fantastic opportunity for the country as fans get the opportunity to support their own team - we all look forward to the unrivalled passion that will again be evident at the Warner Park Stadium."

St Kitts did not feature in the inaugural tournament in 2013, but was surprisingly handed several games last year, including the semi-finals and the final.

Ronaldo suspended two games


Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended from Real Madrid's next two matches after his violent outburst in last weekend's league game that included kicking an opponent. The federation's disciplinary committee yesterday banned Ronaldo from home games against Real Sociedad on Saturday and Sevilla on February 4. The two-game ban will mean Ronaldo will return for the derby at Atletico Madrid on February 7. He apologised later.

Spurs, Chelsea final

SHEFFIELD, England (AP):

Christian Eriksen added a late goal to his sublime early free-kick to help Tottenham scrape a 2-2 draw with third-tier Sheffield United yesterday and secure a place in the League Cup final against Chelsea. Tottenham advanced 3-2 on aggregate and will play in their first cup final in six years.

Spurs were a goal ahead, through Eriksen's pinpoint free-kick into the top corner in the 28th minute and coasting when substitute Che Adams scored in the 77th and 79th minutes. With the score at 2-1 on the night and 2-2 on aggregate, extra time was looming at a snowy Bramall Lane, but Eriksen ran on to a through-ball from Harry Kane and coolly slotted a left-foot finish into the corner in the 88th.