Wed | Oct 17, 2018

Waterhouse ready to tackle Barbican

Published:Tuesday | February 3, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Marc Stamp, Gleaner Writer

Waterhouse FC are already looking towards the upcoming Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA)/Jackie Bell Knockout football final against surprise team Barbican FC.

The date for the clash is to be announced.

Waterhouse FC remained on course for a fourth hold on the KSAFA/Jackie Bell title when they had a big 3-0 win over 10-man Boys' Town in the semi-final of the premier Corporate Area knockout competition, courtesy of second-half goals by Romario Campbell (64th), Jermaine 'Tuffy' Anderson (66th) and Juvaune Benjamin (80th) at the Waterhouse Stadium on Sunday night.

Boys' Town were reduced when defender Hugh Evans received a red card for pulling down Waterhouse's Hughan Gray in the 13th minute.

Poor Finishing

The losers got the better chances in the first-half, but were let down by poor finishing. In the second half, Waterhouse looked better and, with a one-man advantage, pulled away for an easy victory.

"We took a while to settle down, and Boys' Town did well up to early in the second-half of the game," Waterhouse's assistant coach, Marcel 'Fuzzy' Gayle, told The Gleaner.

"We were not playing up to standard," he added.

Veteran striker Anderson has been getting goals in recent games, and Gayle praised the former national forward.

"He (Anderson) is a quality player, and having him in the team is always a plus. However, with some new faces in midfield, our style of play has changed, and it is a work in progress," the assistant coach noted.

Waterhouse started with goalkeeper coach Leighton Murray in goal, as regular custodians Richard McCallum and Kelso Cousins were not available due to injury.

Looking ahead, Gayle pointed out that: "A final is a one-off game, so we have to focus and come with our 'A' game against Barbican."

On the other hand, Boys' Town's long-serving coach, Andrew Price, admitted that losing Evans made it difficult for his team.

"To lose a defender like Evans so early will affect the team. We did pretty well with 10 players. We were in the game up to the 70th minute," Price reasoned.

He added: "We got some early chances but failed to score, and that made the difference."