Sat | Dec 10, 2016

Alleged attacker of 3 soldiers had travelled to Turkey

Published:Wednesday | February 4, 2015 | 12:00 AM

PARIS (AP):

A French security official said a man who allegedly attacked three soldiers with a knife had been sent home by Turkish authorities last week after flying in on a one-way ticket.

Turkey is a transit point for jihadis from Europe to join up with Islamic extremist groups fighting in Syria and Iraq.

Police detained Moussa Coulibaly and a suspected accomplice yesterday after the attack on the soldiers in front of a Jewish community centre in Nice.

Border police had flagged Coulibaly to their Turkish counterparts on January 28, who promptly returned him home, the French security official said on condition of anonymity because she wasn't authorised to speak on the record.

French authorities, however, were unable to turn up enough evidence against Coulibaly to open a legal case against him.