Thu | Dec 8, 2016

MORE SPORTS IN BRIEF

Published:Wednesday | February 4, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Former footballer named T&T sports minister

PORT-OF-SPAIN (CMC):

A former Trinidad and Tobago national footballer, Brent Sancho, has become the country's new sports minister following a cabinet shake-up announced by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar on Monday night.

Sancho, a member of the 2006 Soca warriors squad, replaces Rupert Griffith, who had been acting in that post following the resignation of Anil Roberts last year.

Sancho, who represented T&T at the 2006 World Cup campaign in Germany, has been at the forefront of an ongoing legal battle for money owed to the Soca Warriors by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association.

In September last year, Sancho, along with 12 other members of the Soca Warriors, received cheques from the government which represented the balance of the money the court said was owed to them.

Sancho is the current manager director of Central FC.


T&T cricket chief says no to WICB presidency

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, (CMC):

President of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) Azim Bassarath says he has no intention of competing for the position of president of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) when the annual general meeting is held next month.

Bassarath's declaration was prompted by a statement from former West Indies Players' Association (WIPA) president Dinanath Ramnarine, who tweeted that the TTCB chief will be challenging Cameron for the post.

"That is utter rubbish," declared Bassarath. "I don't know where this man gets his information, but again, he is wrong. I am not contesting the presidency of the WICB."

WICB president Dave Cameron has been under attack recently for his role in the WICB's handling of the recent aborted tour of India which left the board with a debt of US $41.9 million.

Bassarath has insisted that he is not interested in the position of WICB president, and that the T&T board will convene this week to formalise a position on the WICB's election.

Nominations for the post of WICB president close on Saturday, and the elections will be held on March 7.


Redknapp quits QPR

LONDON (AP):

Harry Redknapp quit Queens Park Rangers yesterday in a sudden move that could signal the end of the charismatic but outspoken manager's Premier League career.

The 67-year-old Redknapp cited impending knee-replacement surgery as the reason for unexpectedly relinquishing control of a team facing relegation.

The announcement came hours after the final transfer window of the season closed without the London club's squad being strengthened to cope with the final months of the season.

Redknapp, who presided over QPR's 2013 relegation and immediate return to the topflight, leaves the team 19th in the 20-team standings with 45 points still to play for.

Les Ferdinand, the head of football operations, has taken temporary charge with coach Chris Ramsey while QPR seeks a new manager.