Jerome Reynolds, Gleaner Writer
The Government pathologist has dismissed reports that the organs had been removed from the body of the child found in a suitcase in a house off Chisholm Avenue in Kingston.
Following the discovery of the remains on Sunday, residents had claimed that the organs were taken to be used in a religious ceremony.
However, in a preliminary report the Government pathologist says the organs of the boy, who is believed to be 2-years-old, were in an advanced state of decomposition.
The report notes that internal organs and tissues were completely dissolving or liquefying.
The government pathologist further says based on forensic analysis the child is believed to have been dead for about 2 or 3 months when his remains were found.
He says it is possible that the child could have died as a result of natural disease, asphxia or poisoning.
But he says these cannot be proven scientifically because of the absence of tissue.
In the meantime, head of the St Andrew South Police Division, Senior Superintendent Delroy Hewitt says the police expect to bring charges against the child’s parents soon.
The mother, who is a 30-year-old Canadian resident, and the child’s Jamaican father have been in police custody since Sunday.