Daraine Luton, Senior Gleaner Reporter
The media have been barred from covering the swearing-in ceremony for Sally Porteous as Custos of Manchester.
"I have been informed that the media is not allowed," a police woman stationed at the back gate of King's House told The Gleaner this morning.
Porteous was appointed Custos of Manchester on November 15 last year by Governor General Sir Patrick Allen on the recommendation of the then prime minister, Bruce Golding.
With the appointment sparking a firestorm, King's House announced that the initial January 26 installation ceremony in Mandeville was put off "to facilitate further consultation due to uncertainties in the parish".
The venue was subsequently shifted to King’s House.
Porteous has been facing opposition from justices of the peace (JPs) and residents of Manchester, who claim her appointment is political.
She was hastily sworn in as a JP days after she resigned as a member of the Manchester Parish Council to facilitate her appointment.
A short while ago, King's House said the media have not been allowed inside because the event is significantly scaled down.
The representative said, unlike other installation ceremonies for Custodes, this one will not see events such as an inspection of a guard of honour.