Debbie- Ann Wright, News Editor
The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre
Parliamentarians today apologised for their behaviour in parliament last week pledging there would be no repeat.
The House descended into chaos last Tuesday after deputy speaker Lloyd B. Smith instructed the marshal to remove North West St. Elizabeth MP, J.C Hutchinson, who had ignored his rulings to sit.
This afternoon, House Leader, Michael Peart led in the apologies saying the Members of Parliament had an opportunity to pull the House back from the abyss into which it had fallen.
Although absent from last week’s sitting, Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller and Opposition Leader Andrew Holness were similarly contrite.
They made it clear the behaviour displayed by parliamentarians was unacceptable and urged their colleagues to ensure there is no repeat.
“I want to apologise publicly to the people of Jamaica, to the children of Jamaica both here and those in the Diaspora Simpson Miller,” said.
Holness later rose to describe the incident as regrettable.
“I will do all in my power to ensure that we don’t have a repeat,” he said.
Meanwhile, deputy House Speaker, Lloyd B. Smith told the parliament he had to take responsibility for what happened, especially since he was in charge of the House at the time.
He also apologised for breaching the rules of parliament when he ordered that Hutchinson be removed.
For his part, opposition MP Everald Warmington, said he had already apologised to the marshal for the abuse meted out to him but stated that his behaviour was as a result of the breach in the Standing Orders by the deputy speaker.
And he noted that while last week’s incident was unfortunate, it was not the worst display seen in parliament.
In the meantime, although there have been calls for apologies from Hutchinson for a comment directed at North East St Elizabeth MP Raymond Pryce last week, Pryce this afternoon stated that he took no offence.
Hutchinson also expressed regret and promised his behaviour would not be repeated.