Latest: News

Buju loses retrial bid, could get another five years on gun charge

Published: Tuesday August 7, 2012 | 4:20 pm Comments 0

A Florida court has denied Buju Bantonís request for a new trial following his conviction on drug charges.

Buju had filed for a new trial after losing his appeal against the 10-year prison sentence he is now serving on the drug charges.

In June, the United States Court of Appeal rejected all the claims in the Grammy-winning entertainerís appeal and sided with prosecutors.

But the Appeals Court had said the trial judge could consider retrying the matter.

READ: I won't stop fighting for my friend, says Buju's lawyer

The Appeals Court also agreed with the juryís decision to find the entertainer guilty on the firearm charge.

That charge had been dismissed by the trial judge James Moody after the jury delivered its verdict.

editorial@gleanerjm.com

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Videos

Top Jobs

View all Jobs