The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Industry, Reginald Budhan has indicated that they’re closer to a date for the resumption of the scrap metal trade.
His assurance follows concerns raised by the President of the Scrap Metal Federation, Jonathan Aarons, who yesterday complained that they have been left out of the process.
Aarons said the federation has been seeking answers from the ministry on a number of issues critical to lifting the ban since October 16, but is yet to get a response.
Today, Budhan said he has not seen the letter but he will continue to search for it.
He said while he cannot give a specific date for the lifting of the ban, he can say that Cabinet is still to consider a new proposal from the ministry.
The trade was banned last year under the Jamaica Labour Party administration but the Minister of Trade, Anthony Hylton has been working with the Scrap Metal Federation to re-open it under stricter terms and conditions.
Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner