Latest: News

More Sandy relief money for month end

Published: Thursday December 13, 2012 | 3:40 pm Comments 0

The government has already forked out $233 million to thousands of persons across three eastern parishes, whose homes were damaged during the passage of hurricane Sandy.

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Alvin McIntosh, who made the disclosure yesterday, said the government has provided another $400 million that will be disbursed to thousands of other victims by the end of the month.

Shortly after the category one hurricane did extensive damage to the eastern end of the island, the government announced that it would provide cheques valued at between $30,000 and 60,000 each to victims mainly in St Thomas, Portland and St Mary.

McIntosh said an investigation conducted by the ministry was completed last week.

He said the investigation revealed that just over 15,000 people suffered varying degree of damage to their homes during the hurricane.

McIntosh, who was updating the Public Administration and Appropriations Committee (PAAC) of Parliament on the relief efforts, said just over 5,000 persons have already received cheques.

He said the remaining 10,000 victims should get their cheques by the end of the month.

McIntosh warned that the ministry has put measures in place to ensure that there are no duplications and that the funds are used for their intended purpose.

Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner

radio@gleanerjm.com

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Videos

Top Jobs

View all Jobs