Latest: News

Trafigura application dismissed, PNP officials to testify in open court

Published: Friday September 20, 2013 | 10:31 am Comments 0
Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller
Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller

Barbara Gayle, Justice Coordinator

The Constitutional Court has just dismissed an application challenging an order for the Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller and other Peopleís National Party (PNP) members to answer questions under oath in court in the Trafigura case.


The court handed down its ruling almost one year after hearing final submissions on October 1 last year.

The application was brought by the PNP.

Dutch authorities want to question Simpson Miller, party chairman Robert Pickersgill, and senior members Colin Campbell and Phillip Paulwell and business man Norton Hinds about a $31 million donation to the party by Dutch company Trafigura Beheer.

It is illegal for Dutch companies to donate to political parties.

At the time of the donation in 2006, Trafigura had an oil-lifting contract with the PNP Administration which had formed the government.

In its ruling, the Court concluded that the claimants had failed to prove by cogent and credible evidence that as a matter of law, they are entitled to the relief they were seeking.

The Court said there has been no proven or likely breach of any of the constitutional rights alleged to have been infringed by their being required to attend court and be questioned under oath.

Attorney-at-Law Bert Samuels, who is representing Simpson Miller and Pickersgill, argued that they cannot be called upon to give evidence in relation to Trafigura as they have diplomatic immunity.

Attorney-at-Law Deborah Martin who is representing the other two claimants contended that her clients are only being asked to respond to questions in relation to the Trafigura probe because of politics.

Samuels had also argued that if his clients were to be required to give statements in open court which could result in criminal indictments for other people, then it could put the PNP officials at risk.

In her application, Senior Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Caroline Hay said that the PNP officials were not being treated as suspects.

She also said no evidence had been presented that it was likely to lead to inequitable and inhumane treatment if the proceedings remained in open court.

Samuels told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre that he is awaiting further instructions from the Prime Minister if she will appeal.

FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:


Like our new Facebook page:
Gleaner Jamaica

Follow us on Twitter:
@JamaicaGleaner

Email us at:
onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Videos

<

Top Jobs

View all Jobs