Latest: News

Jamaican gov't clarifies

Published: Sunday December 1, 2013 | 5:48 pm Comments 0

The Jamaican Government is seeking to clarify reports in the international press, which suggest that "missile warheads" were uncovered in a seizure at the Kingston port late last week.

Information Minister Sandrea Falconer says the items that were seized should not be confused with projectiles used in missiles, torpedoes or rockets. She says the items seized at Kingston Wharves last week are used to make nine-millimetre bullets.

The American ABC-owned, ABC36 has been reporting that 3,000 missile warheads have been seized at the port.

Last Thursday, the police seized two bullet-making machines and over 3,000 rounds of ammunition. The items are now at the government forensic lab for testing as a high-level probe continues.

Superintendent Calvin Small, who heads the Transnational Crime and Narcotics Division, has declined to discuss the probe, but says statements are being collected from several persons.

Investigators say the barrel was consigned to Oneil Shrouder, the Manchester man who has been listed as a person of interest in the case.

FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:


Like our new Facebook page:
Gleaner Jamaica

Follow us on Twitter:
@JamaicaGleaner

Email: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Videos

Top Jobs

View all Jobs