Latest: News

Import license required for fireworks, firecrackers

Published: Friday December 6, 2013 | 1:47 pm Comments 0

The Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) is reminding the public that an import licence is required to bring into the island pyrotechnic articles such as fireworks.

It says persons found trading in such goods without the required licence faces prosecution and the seizure of goods.

In its weekly Force Orders, the JCF warned that the activating, discharging or throwing of any squibs, firecracker or any other illegal fireworks in any public place is prohibited under the Town and Communities Act.

It notes that the activating, discharging or throwing of any squibs or firecrackers is sometimes frightening as many members of the public find it difficult to differentiate between those explosions and that of a firearm.

The force says this practice becomes more prevalent during the Christmas season and requires increased vigilance by law enforcement officials.


Like our new Facebook page:
Gleaner Jamaica

Follow us on Twitter:


Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Top Jobs

View all Jobs