Fri | Dec 2, 2016

Hue files second suit against JFF

Published:Saturday | December 6, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Barbara Gayle, Justice Coordinator

Embattled Reggae Boyz midfielder, Jermaine Hue, has filed a new claim against the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), this time, seeking a Supreme Court order for him to be allowed to play local football until his negligence suit is decided.

The claim, which was filed last week, is challenging the ban imposed on Hue because he refused to withdraw his negligence suit against the football authority.

The application was set for hearing on Wednesday, but was adjourned until January 7 next year because the JFF requested more time to respond to the application.

Hue, acting on the advice of his lawyers, agreed to give the JFF more time to respond.

However, the JFF has rejected Hue's request to play football and earn a living until the next court date.

In September, Hue filed his first claim against the JFF, which had demanded that he withdraw a negligence suit within 48 hours.

Hue rejected the demand and, on November 1, the JFF banned him indefinitely from performing any football-related activity.

This new move by the JFF led Hue to go back to the Supreme Court on November 26, seeking orders against the ban.

In a release to the media, Hue's uncle, Michael Hue, said it was disappointing that the JFF has refused to allow the footballer the opportunity of playing and earning from football until January next year when the matter returns to court.

But he said Hue was standing by his negligence suit filed in September against the JFF and Dr Carlton Fraser.

"I have felt compelled to issue this release and do so with the approval of Jermaine and our family," said Michael Hue.

Jermaine Hue has represented Jamaica's national football teams, including the national senior team, for more than 10 years.

Nine-month ban

In July 2013, the World Anti-Doping Agency banned him from professional football for nine months.

The ban occurred because, while on national senior team duties in Honduras, Hue was allegedly administered a negligible amount of a prohibited substance by the national senior team doctor.

"Jermaine, his wife, other members of our family and his supporters believed the ban to be, at the very least, excessive if not unjustified. We appealed to the JFF for financial assistance to pursue an appeal as the JFF had, by this time, publicly stated that it, too, believed the ban to be excessive and would support his appeal. That support was never provided and Jerry, as he is commonly known to us, was deprived of earning a living for nine months up to May, 2014," said Hue's uncle.

Ransford Braham, QC, instructed by Patterson, Mair and Hamilton, is representing Hue.